Home > About Us > Our History
  • Our History

    Growing with the Community

    Originally chartered in 1950 as Peoples Bank & Trust Company, we’ve been serving the needs of families and businesses in Taney County ever since. B.A. Parnell, Sr. was our founder and visionary and he named local fishing legend, Jim Owen as bank president in 1950. He served in that position until 1955 when our founder, Mr. Parnell, became president of the bank. Then in 1956, Ralph Coughenour took over and served in the position until 1961. At that point Mr. Parnell’s son, Ben A. Parnell, Jr., took the reins and served as bank president from 1961-74. He was an instrumental leader, not only for the bank, but the entire community. Smith Brookhart assumed the reins in 1974 and led the bank through many years of tremendous growth as the bank grew with the community. He served in that position until 1998 when C. Craig Richards was selected to lead the bank. He continues to serve in that capacity today.

    Our very first business loan went to another local visionary, Mary Herschend, who, together with her sons, dreamed of a small collection of shops that took visitors to Marvel Cave back to the lifestyles and skills of the 19th Century. That dream eventually became Silver Dollar City, one of today’s foremost attractions in the Midwest.

    In 1961, Peoples Bank took a huge step and opened its first remote drive-in bank. All around, tourist-oriented businesses were popping up. Music shows, craft shops, cafes, and motels were all catering to curious visitors to these tucked-away hills and valleys. First Union Bancorp of St. Louis purchased Peoples Bank in 1967. In 1975, our first “bank of wheels” opened to serve the businesses on West Highway 76 where all the action was taking place. In 1980, we took on a new name: Centerre Bank of Branson. Our downtown Hollister bank opened that year.

    Branson’s reputation was growing at full speed, and in 1987 Good Morning America was telecast live from Silver Dollar City. In 1988 we joined the Central Bancompany family of Missouri banks and changed our name to Ozark Mountain Bank. Things were only beginning to flourish for Branson and for the bank as well. The 60 Minutes broadcast kicked off a gold rush of new businesses and inquisitive visitors to the area, and Ozark Mountain Bank quickly outgrew its location for the Main Bank in downtown Branson. We found an ideal location just a couple of blocks south to build on and began construction on our current location in 1991 and made it our home the following year. By then, many internationally known stars also began calling Branson home. By 1998, we had built a network of drive-ins and lobby locations throughout Taney and Stone Counties. Branson started to evolve from primarily a live music show mecca to a destination that offered many things for families to enjoy including entertainment, attractions, shopping, golfing and lake activities. The bank has experienced many changes through the years and has always been a leader in our industry when it comes to providing advanced products and services – including online and mobile banking – for our customers.

    In June, 2015, we became Central Bank of Branson. Our new name reflected the growth of our brand and expansion of banking services across the Midwest. However, we still maintained our local charter and local decision making.

    Since 1950, our focus of serving the area has not changed. We continue to be a financial expert to the individuals and businesses in the area. In addition, we have always been very community-focused with a significant number of dollars contributed to sponsor and support countless events. Also, our employees invest thousands of volunteer hours each year into area non-profits, churches, schools and civic organizations.

    We are truly a community bank with a long, rich history of providing the products, services and expertise that our customers want and need. That is why we say ...“Strong Roots. Endless Possibilities.”


    Our mission is to develop lifetime banking relationships.